It often feels incredible to have a glamorous title, and if you’ve been thinking about a career in cosmetology, you may have heard the term “esthetician” and want to know if that could be a fitting career for you. It has such a nice ring to it, which might appeal to you. Don’t choose it for that reason alone, however. You need to know what an esthetician does to make an informed decision.
There are a number of procedures that an esthetician can provide that are geared towards beautification without surgery. Many people think that all they do is facials, but the training to be an esthetician actually covers a lot more, such as:
- Exfoliation – The process of removing dead skin cells so that the skin is healthier and looks and feels smoother.
- Clean Pores – Facial pores, in particular, can become clogged with sweat, dirt, oil, and makeup. An esthetician uses professional techniques to clean the pores to prevent acne and other skin blemishes.
- Body Services – An esthetician’s skills are not limited to the face. They can also do body scrubs and wraps, as well as foot reflexology. Aromatherapy can also be utilized.
- Skin Care Specialist – Everything about the skin is important to an esthetician. They learn the many techniques that can be used to improve skin. These can include chemical peels, microdermabrasion, wrinkle-reduction techniques, and massage.
- Hair Removal – Waxing and depilation techniques for the removal of hair can also part of being an esthetician.
- Makeup Application – An esthetician is often called upon to do special occasion makeup, such as for weddings, business photos, family photos, and more.
If you would like to know more about what an esthetician does and how to get the vital training needed for this exciting and profitable career, give us a call at Elite Academy of Cosmetology. We offer a variety of classes and programs at our two campuses in Lawton and Duncan, Oklahoma. We are happy to discuss the many options you have for getting started as an esthetician.